The Pros and Cons of Vinyl Garage Doors
Vinyl garage doors can be a popular choice for adding a finished and stylish look to your garage. With many unique features this type of garage door they can add a custom look to your garage as well as keeping your garage safe. As with any option there are some pros and cons to keep in mind when considering a vinyl garage door.
- Pricing. In comparison to some of the other styles of garage doors, vinyl is considered to be a more affordable option. If you are operating on a lower budget a vinyl garage door might be a great option for you. Although vinyl is more expensive than steel the cost-effective benefits may outweigh this initial cost.
- Aesthetics. Modern vinyl also has some customization available. Vinyl garage doors come in a variety of colors and can be further customized through different choices of glass and finishes. A popular “wood-look” finish can combine the pros of a vinyl garage door and eliminate some of the cons associated with a wooden door.
- Maintenance. Vinyl garage doors require less maintenance from a visual appeal standpoint. They do not require regular painting to keep them looking their best because the material is composed of the color throughout. Vinyl garage doors themselves are also rust resistant, which can translate into saved money! As with any garage door you choose, regular mechanical maintenance is still recommended to extend the life of your garage door.
- Durability. The durability of this strong material a major decision maker when it comes to choosing a garage door. Depending on your lifestyle this (almost) dent proof material can be a true benefit when it comes to saving you time, money and energy. Vinyl garage doors truly can provide a great lifetime value and often come with a lifetime warranty.
- Weather resistance. Whether you live in Phoenix, Scottsdale, Chandler, or anywhere else in Arizona you know that the sun can wreak havoc on items that fare well in less sunny climates. Vinyl is durable, efficient, and many vinyl garage doors contain a UV resin that helps protect it from fading in our Arizona !
- Repairs. Due to the structure of vinyl itself minor repairs may not be necessary. Vinyl is not a painted material and, for this reason, minor scratches and dents will not be noticeable.
- Manual or automatic. Both types are available and may be a better option depending on available space.
- Efficiency. Vinyl garage doors can be manufactured with internal insulation. This is a great feature to consider if you are looking to improve the energy efficiency of your garage and your home. If you are looking to use your garage to store valuable items that are temperature sensitive you may want to consider this pro when choosing which style is best for you.
- Changeability. Because the color of a vinyl garage door comes from the resin it is created with you aren’t able to change the color of your door as you would be with a wooden garage door. If you are one to frequently change the look of your home a vinyl garage door might not be the best choice for you.
- Efficiency. As mentioned above, some vinyl doors can be purchased with insulation. If you opt to purchase a vinyl garage door that is not sandwiched with an insulation layer it will make it extremely difficult to maintain a consistent temperature in your garage.
- Maintenance. The material of vinyl for a garage door is very useful when it comes to regular cleaning. Due to the durability, a vinyl garage door can be quickly cleaned with ease.
If you have additional questions specific to your home or commercial space give us a call. We can answer questions over the phone or meet in person in Chandler (or the surrounding Phoenix areas) to give you personalized advice.